Amazing mussels. They taste better than at the restaurant and cost a hell of a lot less than the restaurant too.
- 2 lb. mussels, washed and cleaned
- 1/2 bottle white wine (preferably either pinot grigio or chardonnay)
- 1 package of thick cut bacon, sliced into 1″ squares
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 T of unsalted butter (or 1/2 a stick for extra tastiness)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few dashes of paprika
- 1 loaf of thin French bread
- Cook bacon in a saucepan on medium heat. Keep the fat to cook everything else in. Cook it until it’s brown.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and butter and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add some salt and pepper to your taste.
- Pour wine into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add a few dashes of paprika for flavor.
- Add the mussels, cover the saucepan, and let them cook until they open. This will take 2-3 minutes. Discard any that don’t open because those will make you sick.
- Dig in and enjoy the savory tastes. Serve with delicious, thick bread.